COLES CASE STUDY
Fairfax Media Case Study: Coles 'Heston Lemon Myrtle Hot Cross Buns Case Study
Coles partnered with Fairfax Media metro newspapers to drive awareness and purchase consideration of Heston Blumenthal’s Lemon Myrtle Hot Cross Buns. The print campaign was executed as an innovative scented full page advertisement, that upon rubbing the designated area, the ad would release an aroma of lemon myrtle and orange with undertones of ginger. This innovative print execution really resonated with print readers, with two-thirds recalling the ads, close to half interacting with the ad to release the scented aroma and over a third visiting or intending to visit a Coles supermarket to purchase the Heston Lemon Myrtle Hot Cross Buns.
- Drive awareness of Heston Blumenthal’s Lemon Myrtle Hot Cross Buns, at Coles supermarkets
- Drive purchase intention of Heston Blumenthal’s Lemon Myrtle Hot Cross Buns
- Encourage interaction with the advertising execution through rubbing the designated area and releasing the scented aroma
Saturday, 15th March, 2014
A custom panel approach was utilised for this research which involved a survey being sent out to the Fairfax Media reader panel maintained by GfK (n=645)
The campaign was executed in Saturday’s Sydney Morning Herald and The Age newspapers as a full page scented advertisement, immediately followed by another full page advertisement, highlighting the product itself.
- Two-thirds (60%) recalled seeing the Coles ‘Heston’s Lemon Myrtle Hot Cross Buns’ full page advertisements, with a strong brand cut-through of 69%
- Of those who recall seeing the full page Coles advertisements in the Sydney Morning Herald or The Age on Saturday 15th March, close to half (42%) interacted with the ad by rubbing the designated area and releasing the lemon myrtle aroma
- The ad had a very positive response, with respondents indicating that the ad stood out (90%); it was different to what they had previously seen (79%), it was fun (67%), and it was an ad that made them stop and look (59%)
- Close to 7-in-10 respondents thought that the Coles ad was a good brand fit for The Age and Sydney Morning Herald newspapers (68%), and as a result over a third (33%) visited or intend to visit a Coles supermarket to purchase the Heston Lemon Myrtle Hot Cross Buns
- High impact weekend print advertising drives strong ad recall levels for Coles