Digital readership drives strong gains for Fairfax Media mastheads
10 December 2015
Allen Williams, Fairfax Media’s Managing Director of Australian Publishing Media, said:
“Several Fairfax mastheads saw impressive digital audience growth in October, with the standout being The Australian Financial Review, lifting mobile/ tablet audiences 101% year-on-year. The Sydney Morning Herald remains Australia’s No.1 masthead, with
The Sydney Morning Herald remains Australia’s No.1 masthead, with total readership of more than 5 million people across all platforms, well ahead of its nearest competitor.
The Canberra Times recorded its biggest ever cross-platform audience reach, largely driven by significant mobile and tablet audience growth of 33% year-on-year.
Mobile and tablet audiences for the SMH and The Age grew 11% and 5%, respectively, driven by highly engaging content and our quality, independent journalism.”
Key emmaTM readership highlights (12 months to October 2015) include:
The Sydney Morning Herald
- 5 million people across all platforms, more than 1 million people ahead of its nearest competitor
- 1.3 million people on mobile or tablet, up 11% year on year
- 3.2 million people across smh.com.au on desktop
- Net weekly readership of 1.4 million.
- 3.1 million across all platforms
- 1.7 million people accessed theage.com.au on desktop
- 939,000 people on mobile or tablet, up 5% year on year
- Net weekly readership of 1.1 million.
The Australian Financial Review
- 1.5 million across all platforms, up 3% year on year
- 235,000 people on mobile or tablet, up 101% year on year
- 510,000 people accessed afr.com on desktop, up 9% year on year
- Net weekly readership of 606,000.
The Canberra Times
- Biggest ever cross-platform audience, reaching 863,000 people across all platforms, 4% up year on year
- 583,000 Australians across desktop, up 1% year on year
- 182,000 on mobile or tablet, up 33% year on year
- Net weekly readership of 161,000.
Source: emmaTM (Enhanced Media Metrics Australia) conducted by Ipsos MediaCT, People 14+ for the 12 months to October 2015. Nielsen Online Ratings October 2015, People 14+.
About Fairfax Media
Fairfax’s network of leading information, marketplaces and entertainment brands provides powerful connections between advertisers and large, diversified audiences throughout Australia and New Zealand. As the trusted voice, Fairfax informs, engages and entertains audiences and communities. Every day Fairfax empowers and enriches the lives of millions of people with independent, quality content and great experiences.