Fairfax Media reaches 13m+ Australians and is home to Australia’s No.1 masthead The Sydney Morning Herald
18 August 2016
Commenting on the June 2016 emmaTM (Enhanced Media Metrics Australia) readership survey results, Fairfax Media’s Australian Publishing Media Managing Director, Allen Williams, said:
“This is the fourth consecutive month that Fairfax Media has achieved a cross-platform audience reach of more than 13 million or 73% of Australians. This underlines the trust and value our audiences place in our mastheads.
“Interest was particularly high in politics, both at home and globally, with the Australian election campaign coverage sitting alongside Britain’s dramatic vote to leave the EU and the ongoing drama of the US election campaign.
“Our local election coverage was also enhanced by a number of innovative interactive elements designed to stimulate informed debate on policies.
“The Sydney Morning Herald is Australia’s number one news destination, reaching 6.1 million people across print and digital in June, which was 1.4 million or 31% ahead of its nearest competitor.”
emmaTM highlights for June 2016 - Total Monthly Reach^:
- 13.3m across print and digital: fourth consecutive month reaching more than 13m+ people.
- 11.3m via desktop/laptop, smartphone and tablet (reaching 62% of Australians age 14+).
- 6.2m across print.
- 4.1m read metro or national newspapers.
- 3.1m read regional or community titles.
The Sydney Morning Herald
- Second highest readership for 2016, reaching 6.1m people age 14+ across print and digital.
- Australia’s #1 national masthead: reaching 1.4m, or 31%, more people than its nearest competitor.
- 4.9m read smh.com.au on desktop/laptop, smartphone and tablet.
- 2.1m read the SMH in print.
- Cross-platform audience of 3.4m people across print and digital.
- 2.5m across theage.com.au on desktop/laptop, smartphone and tablet.
- 1.5m read The Age in print.
The Australian Financial Review
- Cross-platform audience of 1.6m people across print and digital.
- 792,000 read afr.com on desktop/laptop, smartphone and tablet.
- 941,000 read the Financial Review in print.
The Canberra Times
- Cross-platform audience of 735,000 people across print and digital.
- 630,000 read canberratimes.com.au on desktop/laptop, smartphone and tablet.
- 203,000 read The Canberra Times in print.
Fairfax Media’s Community, Regional and Rural Titles
- 4.6m readership across print and digital platforms.
- 2.1m across desktop/laptop, smartphone and tablet.
- 3.1m across print.
Note: This was the sixth month in which the emmaTM database has fused the IAB digital currency data, Nielsen Digital Ratings Monthly (DRM), providing more accurate total cross-platform and digital audience numbers that include mobile and tablet audiences. Due to the change in digital measurement methodology, there is now a trend break in the total cross-platform and digital numbers, and change calculations (year on year) are not valid.
Source: emmaTM (Enhanced Media Metrics Australia) conducted by Ipsos MediaCT, People 14+ for the 12 months to June 2016. Nielsen Digital Ratings May 2016, People 14+ (^Fairfax Media total reach includes Allure Media digital properties). *Nielsen Digital Ratings Monthly, June 2016, Ppl 2+ (Computer); Ppl 18+ (Smartphone/Tablet).
About Fairfax Media
Fairfax’s network of leading information, marketplaces and entertainment brands provides powerful connections between advertisers and large, diversified audiences throughout Australia and New Zealand. As the trusted voice, Fairfax informs, engages and entertains audiences and communities. Every day Fairfax empowers and enriches the lives of millions of people with independent, quality content and great experiences.