The Sydney Morning Herald is Australia’s no. 1 masthead - Fairfax Media reaches 70% of Australians
16 February 2017
Commenting on the December 2016 emma (Enhanced Media Metrics Australia) readership survey results, Fairfax Media’s Commercial and Marketing Services Director for Australian Metro Publishing, Tom Armstrong, said:
“As world events continued to dominate the news agenda in December, including the consequences and reaction to US President Trump’s election, more than 12.7 million Australians turned to Fairfax’s news network of newspapers and digital platforms for trusted and independent coverage and analysis.
“Seven in 10 Australians aged 14-plus trust in Fairfax for their news and information each month, which demonstrates the high level of engagement among our audiences.
“The Sydney Morning Herald was the no.1 news destination every month in 2016. In December, the SMH reached 5 million people via print and digital, which emma data shows is 24% more than any other local news destination.”
emma highlights for December 2016 - Total Monthly Reach^:
- 12.7m people across print and digital or 70% of Australians 14+.
- 10.6m via desktop/laptop, smartphone and tablet (reaching 58% of Australians 14+).
- 6.0m across print.
- 4.0m across metro and national newspapers.
- 3.0m across regional and community newspapers.
The Sydney Morning Herald
- 5.0m people aged 14+ across print and digital.
- Australia’s #1 cross platform masthead reaching 24% ahead of its nearest competitor.
- 3.7m across smh.com.au on desktop/laptop, smartphone and tablet.
- 2.0m read the SMH in print.
- 2.9m people across print and digital.
- 2.0m across theage.com.au on desktop/laptop, smartphone and tablet.
- 1.4m read The Age in print.
The Australian Financial Review
- 1.5m people across print and digital.
- 659,000 across afr.com on desktop/laptop, smartphone and tablet.
- 922,000 read the Financial Review in print.
The Canberra Times
- 819,000 people across print and digital: a 14% increase month on month.
- 702,000 across canberratimes.com.au on desktop/laptop, smartphone and tablet, up 20% month on month.
- 200,000 read The Canberra Times in print.
Fairfax Media’s Community, Regional and Rural Titles
- A total of 3.0m read Fairfax regional and community print publications.
- Fairfax Digital Regional network reached 1.6m.
Source: emmaTM (Enhanced Media Metrics Australia) conducted by Ipsos MediaCT, People 14+ for the 12 months to December 2016. Nielsen Digital Ratings December 2016, People 14+ (^Fairfax Media total reach includes Allure Media digital properties). *Nielsen Digital Ratings Monthly, December 2016, Ppl 2+ (Computer); Ppl 18+ (Smartphone/Tablet).
Note: This was the eleventh month in which the emma database has fused the IAB digital currency data, Nielsen Digital Ratings Monthly (DRM), providing more accurate total cross-platform and digital audience numbers that include mobile and tablet audiences. Due to the change in digital measurement methodology, there is now a trend break in the total cross-platform and digital numbers, and change calculations (year on year) are not valid.
About Fairfax Media
Fairfax’s network of leading information, marketplaces and entertainment brands provides powerful connections between advertisers and large, diversified audiences throughout Australia and New Zealand. As the trusted voice, Fairfax informs, engages and entertains audiences and communities. Every day Fairfax empowers and enriches the lives of millions of people with independent, quality content and great experiences.