The Sydney Morning Herald is Australia’s most read newspaper - Fairfax Media reaches more than 13m Australians a month
16 January 2017
Commenting on the November 2016 emma (Enhanced Media Metrics Australia) readership survey results, Fairfax Media’s Commercial Director Tom Armstrong said:
“This latest emma data to November 2016 underlines the strength of our network of newspapers and digital assets, which engage with almost three quarters (72%) of Australians aged 14-plus. More than 13 million Australians trust in Fairfax for their news and information every month.
“The Sydney Morning Herald remains Australia’s most read masthead, underlining its strength as a national brand, reaching 1.1 million more readers than its nearest competitor.
“The Canberra Times continues to grow its audience, up 5% in November month-on-month.
“More than 6.1 million people read Fairfax newspapers a month, with 4.1 million reading our metro or national mastheads and 3 million reading our regional newspapers.
“Our advertisers know that our newspapers reach our highly-engaged and loyal audiences, and coupled with our digital assets, form a valuable and continuing part of the media buying mix that we offer.”
emma highlights for November 2016 - Total Monthly Reach^:
- 13m or 72% of Australians aged 14+ across all platforms
- 11m or 61% of Australians across desktop/laptop, smartphone and tablet
- 4.1m Australians read Fairfax Media content through both print and digital
- 6.1m across print
The Sydney Morning Herald
- Australia’s most read masthead with 5.2m Australians aged 14+ across print and digital
- 1.1m or 27% more readers compared with its nearest competitor
- 4m across smh.com.au on desktop/laptop, smartphone and tablet
- 2.1m read the SMH in print
- 3m Australians aged 14+ across print and digital
- 2.1m across theage.com.au on desktop/laptop, smartphone and tablet
- 1.4m read The Age in print
The Australian Financial Review
- 1.6m Australians aged 14+ across print and digital
- 744,000 across afr.com on desktop/laptop, smartphone and tablet
- 929,000 read the Financial Review in print
The Canberra Times
- 717,000 across all platforms, 31,000 (5%) increase month-on-month
- 586,000 across canberratimes.com.au on desktop/laptop, smartphone and tablet
- 202,000 read The Canberra Times in print
Fairfax Media’s Community, Regional and Rural Titles
- 4.4m Australians aged 14+ across print and digital
- 1.9m across desktop/laptop, smartphone and tablet platforms
- 3m read Fairfax’s Community, Regional and Rural titles in print
Note: With Nielsen Digital Ratings fused into emma, more accurate total cross-platform and digital audience numbers that include mobile and tablet audiences are available. Due to the change in digital measurement methodology, there is now a trend break in the total cross platform and digital numbers and change calculations (year on year) is not valid.
Source: emmaTM (Enhanced Media Metrics Australia) conducted by Ipsos MediaCT, People 14+ for the 12 months to November 2016. Nielsen Digital Ratings November 2016, People 14+ (^Fairfax Media total reach includes Allure Media digital properties). *Nielsen Digital Ratings Monthly, November 2016, Ppl 2+ (Computer); Ppl 18+ (Smartphone/Tablet).
About Fairfax Media
Fairfax’s network of leading information, marketplaces and entertainment brands provides powerful connections between advertisers and large, diversified audiences throughout Australia and New Zealand. As the trusted voice, Fairfax informs, engages and entertains audiences and communities. Every day Fairfax empowers and enriches the lives of millions of people with independent, quality content and great experiences.