The Sydney Morning Herald is Australia’s No.1 masthead - Fairfax Media reaches 13m+ Australians
15 December 2016
Commenting on the October 2016 emma (Enhanced Media Metrics Australia) readership survey results, Fairfax Media’s Australian Publishing Media Managing Director, Allen Williams, said:
“Fairfax Media’s quality journalism and content fuels our audience strength, with our news and entertainment platforms reaching more than 13 million Australians for the eighth consecutive month. We connect our audiences to advertisers in highly-engaging ways across our network of leading digital and print publishing assets.
“The Sydney Morning Herald remains Australia’s number one news destination in 2016, reaching 5.4 million people in October, which is 1.2 million readers ahead of its nearest competitor.
“During October, our coverage of the final weeks of the US Presidential election was a driver of strong engagement from our audiences.”
emma highlights for October 2016 - Total Monthly Reach^:
- 13.1m people across print and digital: eighth consecutive month reaching more than 13m people.
- 11.1m via desktop/laptop, smartphone and tablet (reaching 61% of Australians age 14+).
- 6.1m across print.
The Sydney Morning Herald
- 5.4m people aged 14+ across print and digital.
- Australia’s #1 masthead reaching 1.2m more people than its nearest competitor.
- 4.2m across smh.com.au on desktop/laptop, smartphone and tablet.
- 2.1m read the SMH in print.
- 3.2m people across print and digital.
- 2.3m across theage.com.au on desktop/laptop, smartphone and tablet, up 8% on the previous month.
- 1.5m read The Age in print.
The Australian Financial Review
- 1.7m people across print and digital.
- 816,000 across afr.com on desktop/laptop, smartphone and tablet, up 7% on the previous month.
- 942,000 read the Financial Review in print.
The Canberra Times
- 686,000 people across print and digital
- 578,000 across canberratimes.com.au on desktop/laptop, smartphone and tablet.
- 196,000 read The Canberra Times in print.
Fairfax Media’s Community, Regional and Rural Titles
- 4.5m readership across print and digital platforms.
- 2.0m across desktop/laptop, smartphone and tablet.
- 3.0m across print.
Source: emma (Enhanced Media Metrics Australia) conducted by Ipsos MediaCT, People 14+ for the 12 months to October 2016. Nielsen Digital Ratings October 2016, People 14+ (^Fairfax Media total reach includes Allure Media digital properties). *Nielsen Digital Ratings Monthly, October 2016, Ppl 2+ (Computer); Ppl 18+ (Smartphone/Tablet).
Note: This was the tenth month in which the emma database has fused the IAB digital currency data, Nielsen Digital Ratings Monthly (DRM), providing more accurate total cross-platform and digital audience numbers that include mobile and tablet audiences. Due to the change in digital measurement methodology, there is now a trend break in the total cross-platform and digital numbers, and change calculations (year on year) are not valid.
About Fairfax Media
Fairfax’s network of leading information, marketplaces and entertainment brands provides powerful connections between advertisers and large, diversified audiences throughout Australia and New Zealand. As the trusted voice, Fairfax informs, engages and entertains audiences and communities. Every day Fairfax empowers and enriches the lives of millions of people with independent, quality content and great experiences.