The Sydney Morning Herald is Australia’s No. 1 masthead - Fairfax Media reaches 13m+ Australians for seventh consecutive month
17 November 2016
Commenting on the September 2016 emma (Enhanced Media Metrics Australia) readership survey results, Fairfax Media’s Australian Publishing Media Managing Director, Allen Williams, said:
“Fairfax Media continues to reach seven in 10 Australians aged 14+, or more than 13 million people, across print and digital platforms every month. September was the seventh consecutive month that Fairfax has achieved this impressive audience reach result.
“The Sydney Morning Herald remains Australia’s number one news destination, reaching 5.3 million people in September, which is well ahead of its nearest competitor.
“Fairfax’s trusted and independent coverage of the ramp up to the US Presidential elections generated strong audience across our news network during September.”
emma highlights for September 2016 - Total Monthly Reach^:
- 13.2m people across print and digital: seventh consecutive month reaching more than 13 million people.
- 11.2m via desktop/laptop, smartphone and tablet (reaching 62% of Australians age 14+).
- 6.1m across print.
- 4.1m across metro and national newspapers.
- 3.0m across regional and community newspapers.
The Sydney Morning Herald
- 5.3m people aged 14+ across print and digital.
- Australia’s #1 masthead reaching more people than its nearest competitor.
- 4.1m across smh.com.au on desktop/laptop, smartphone and tablet.
- 2.1m read the SMH in print.
- 3.1m people across print and digital.
- 2.1m across theage.com.au on desktop/laptop, smartphone and tablet.
- 1.5m read The Age in print.
The Australian Financial Review
- 1.6m people across print and digital.
- 763,000 across afr.com on desktop/laptop, smartphone and tablet.
- 948,000 read the Financial Review in print.
The Canberra Times
- 851,000 people across print and digital: strongest month since May, 10% increase month on month.
- 743,000 across canberratimes.com.au on desktop/laptop, smartphone and tablet, up 13% month on month.
- 202,000 read The Canberra Times in print.
Source: emma (Enhanced Media Metrics Australia) conducted by Ipsos MediaCT, people 14+ for the 12 months to September 2016. Nielsen Digital Ratings September 2016, people 14+ (^Fairfax Media total reach includes Allure Media digital properties). *Nielsen Digital Ratings Monthly, September 2016 PPL 2+ (Computer), PPL 18+ (Smartphone/tablet).
Note: This was the ninth month in which the emma database has fused the IAB digital currency data, Nielsen Digital Ratings Monthly (DRM), providing more accurate total cross-platform and digital audience numbers that include mobile and tablet audiences. Due to the change in digital measurement methodology, there is now a trend break in the total cross-platform and digital numbers, and change calculations (year on year) are not valid
About Fairfax Media
Fairfax’s network of leading information, marketplaces and entertainment brands provides powerful connections between advertisers and large, diversified audiences throughout Australia and New Zealand. As the trusted voice, Fairfax informs, engages and entertains audiences and communities. Every day Fairfax empowers and enriches the lives of millions of people with independent, quality content and great experiences.