Fairfax Media network reaches 11.1 million people in January 2016
10 March 2016
Commenting on the January 2016 emma (Enhanced Media Metrics Australia) survey period, Fairfax Media’s Commercial & Marketing Services Director for Australian Publishing Media, Tom Armstrong, said:
“The value and strength of Fairfax’s quality content and journalism in reaching and engaging with large-scale audiences is evidenced by January’s solid audience growth. Fairfax’s network of independent news, information and entertainment reached 11.1 million people, or 62% of Australians for the month, which is up 5% year-on-year.
The Sydney Morning Herald strengthened its position as Australia’s number one news destination with a total audience of 5.3 million in January, reaching 1.2 million people more than its closest competitor. The SMH also posted a mobile and tablet audience increase of 16% year-on-year to reach 1.4 million people in January.
The Age reached 3.2 million people across all platforms in January, with the mobile and tablet audience increasing 6% year-on-year.
The Australian Financial Review continues its impressive audience growth, rising 15% year-on-year to reach a premium national audience of 1.5 million across all platforms. The AFR’s mobile and tablet audience was up 92% year-on-year, while afr.com desktop audience reach was up 41%.”
Key emmaTM readership highlights (12 months to January 2016) include:
● Fairfax Media Total Reach
- 11.1 million readership across platforms, up 5% year-on-year
- 6.3 million people read Fairfax print newspapers
- 7.1 million on desktop^
- 2.2 million on mobile or tablet news titles
● The Sydney Morning Herald
- 5.3 million readership across all platforms, up 7% year-on-year
- 3.5 million on desktop
- 1.4 million on mobile or tablet, up 16% year-on-year
● The Age
- 3.2 million readership across all platforms, up 3% year-on-year
- 1.8 million on desktop
- 950,000 on mobile or tablet, up 6% year-on-year
● The Australian Financial Review
- 1.5 million readership across all platforms, up 15% year-on-year
- 506,000 on desktop, up 41% year-on-year
- 269,000 on mobile or tablet, up 92% year-on-year
● The Canberra Times
- 911,000 readership across all platforms, up 25% year-on-year
- 633,000 on desktop
- 187,000 on mobile or tablet, up 28% year-on-year
* Source: emmaTM (Enhanced Media Metrics Australia) conducted by Ipsos MediaCT, People 14+ for the 12 months to January 2016, People 14+. Nielsen Online Ratings January 2016, People 14+. ^Nielsen Online Ratings, January 2016
About Fairfax Media
Fairfax’s network of leading information, marketplaces and entertainment brands provides powerful connections between advertisers and large, diversified audiences throughout Australia and New Zealand. As the trusted voice, Fairfax informs, engages and entertains audiences and communities. Every day Fairfax empowers and enriches the lives of millions of people with independent, quality content and great experiences.