The Sydney Morning Herald reaches almost two million more people than its nearest competitor
13 October 2016
Commenting on the August 2016 emmaTM (Enhanced Media Metrics Australia) readership survey results, Fairfax Media’s Australian Publishing Media Managing Director, Allen Williams, said:
“Australia’s number one news destination, The Sydney Morning Herald, continues its record of strong readership reaching 6.3 million people across print and digital in August. It now reaches 1.9 million, or 41%, more people than its nearest competitor.
"Fairfax's trusted and credible news coverage of the Rio de Janeiro Olympic Games, the ongoing US presidential campaign and continuing local political events and terror threats resulted in strong engagement during August. For the sixth consecutive month, Fairfax's news and entertainment platforms reached more than 13 million Australians."
emmaTM highlights for August 2016 - Total Monthly Reach^:
- 13.2m across print and digital: sixth consecutive month reaching more than 13m people.
- 11.2m via desktop/laptop, smartphone and tablet (reaching 62% of Australians age 14+).
- 6.1m across print.
- 4.1m across metro or national newspapers.
- 3.0 m across regional or community titles.
The Sydney Morning Herald
- 6.3m people age 14+ across print and digital.
- Australia’s #1 masthead: reaching 1.9m, or 41%, more people than its nearest competitor.
- 5.2m across smh.com.au on desktop/laptop, smartphone and tablet.
- 2.1m read the SMH in print.
- 3.2m people across print and digital.
- 2.4m across theage.com.au on desktop/laptop, smartphone and tablet.
- 1.5m read The Age in print.
The Australian Financial Review
- 1.6m people across print and digital.
- 813,000 across afr.com on desktop/laptop, smartphone and tablet.
- 926,000 read the Financial Review in print.
The Canberra Times
- 773,000 people across print and digital.
- 658,000 across canberratimes.com.au on desktop/laptop, smartphone and tablet, up 15% month on month.
- 202,000 read The Canberra Times in print.
Fairfax Media’s Community, Regional and Rural Titles
- 4.4m across print and digital platforms.
- 1.8m across desktop/laptop, smartphone and tablet.
- 3.0m across print.
Note: This was the eighth month in which the emmaTM database has fused the IAB digital currency data, Nielsen Digital Ratings Monthly (DRM), providing more accurate total cross-platform and digital audience numbers that include mobile and tablet audiences. Due to the change in digital measurement methodology, there is now a trend break in the total cross-platform and digital numbers, and change calculations (year on year) are not valid.
Source: emmaTM (Enhanced Media Metrics Australia) conducted by Ipsos MediaCT, People 14+ for the 12 months to August 2016. Nielsen Digital Ratings August 2016, People 14+ (^Fairfax Media total reach includes Allure Media digital properties). *Nielsen Digital Ratings Monthly, August 2016, Ppl 2+ (Computer); Ppl 18+ (Smartphone/Tablet)
About Fairfax Media
Fairfax’s network of leading information, marketplaces and entertainment brands provides powerful connections between advertisers and large, diversified audiences throughout Australia and New Zealand. As the trusted voice, Fairfax informs, engages and entertains audiences and communities. Every day Fairfax empowers and enriches the lives of millions of people with independent, quality content and great experiences.