Fairfax Media reaches 7 in 10 Australians, home to Australia’s #1 news destination, The Sydney Morning Herald
14 April 2016
Commenting on the February 2016 emmaTM (Enhanced Media Metrics Australia) survey results*, Fairfax Media’s Australian Publishing Media Commercial & Marketing Services Director, Tom Armstrong, said:
“According to emmaTM Fairfax Media reached 12.9 million, or 7 in 10 Australians^ aged 14+ in February, demonstrating the strength and scale of our network in reaching and engaging with audiences across print and digital platforms. Fairfax’s digital network reached 10.8 million people which reflects the fast progress we have made in growing digital audiences.
“emmaTM data now incorporates the new Nielsen Digital Ratings Monthly (DRM) and provides a more accurate total audience reach, particularly for mobile and tablet audiences.
“Australia’s number one news destination, The Sydney Morning Herald, reached a total masthead audience of 5.9 million in February according to emmaTM, 1.4 million more than its nearest competitor.
“The Age reached 3.5 million Australians aged 14+ across print and digital platforms and a total digital audience of 2.6 million.
“The Australian Financial Review reached a total masthead audience of 1.6 million people in February, with Monday to Friday print readership lifting 8% year-on-year and the AFR Weekend achieving 15% year-on-year growth.”
Due to the change in methodology, emmaTM has implemented a trend break for total masthead and total digital audiences which means any digital comparisons are invalid for this period.
Key emmaTM monthly readership highlights for the month of February 2016 include:
- Fairfax Media Total Monthly Reach
- 12.9 million readership across print and digital platforms
- 10.8 million accessed Fairfax content on desktop/laptop, smartphone and tablet
- 6.3 million people read Fairfax content in print
- The Sydney Morning Herald Total Monthly Reach*
- 5.9 million readership across print and digital platforms
- 4.7 million accessed smh.com.au on desktop/laptop, smartphone and tablet
- 2.1 million read the SMH in print
- The Age Total Monthly Reach
- 3.5 million readership across print and digital platforms
- 2.6 million accessed theage.com.au on desktop/laptop, smartphone and tablet
- 1.5 million read The Age in print
- The Australian Financial Review Total Monthly Reach
- 1.6 million readership across print and digital platforms
- 787,000 accessed afr.com on desktop/laptop, smartphone and tablet
- 944,000 read the AFR in print
* Source: emmaTM (Enhanced Media Metrics Australia) conducted by Ipsos MediaCT, People 14+ for the 12 months to February 2016. Nielsen Digital Ratings February 2016, People 14+ (^Fairfax Media total reach includes Allure Media digital properties).
About Fairfax Media
Fairfax’s network of leading information, marketplaces and entertainment brands provides powerful connections between advertisers and large, diversified audiences throughout Australia and New Zealand. As the trusted voice, Fairfax informs, engages and entertains audiences and communities. Every day Fairfax empowers and enriches the lives of millions of people with independent, quality content and great experiences.