Fairfax Media welcomes IAB and Neilsen Mobile Ratings preview data
October 7th, 2015
Fairfax Media welcomes the first official release of industry-supported preview data following the announcement of the IAB and Nielsen smartphone and tablet ratings (‘Mobile Ratings’) report for the Australian market.
The IAB and Nielsen Mobile Ratings report will provide industry insight into the size and ranking of mobile audiences in Australia. The preview data, released today, showcases Fairfax Media’s extensive mobile audience reach across its suite of innovative smartphone and tablet sites and apps.
Fairfax Media Mobile Director Stefan Savva said: “The Mobile Ratings preview data shows that 4.1 million Australians accessed Fairfax Media brands from smartphones and 2.3 million from tablets during July. It’s invaluable as we continue to develop mobile products for our growing mobile audiences that we are able to measure and independently benchmark our success.”
Fairfax Media Commercial Director, APM and IAB board member Tom Armstrong said: “At Fairfax, a key focus for us as a publisher is to build market confidence in mobile advertising. We welcome and support the Mobile Ratings preview data as this is the first step towards releasing standardised mobile audience metrics in Australia.”
Key highlights from the IAB and Nielsen Mobile Ratings preview data include:
- Fairfax Media is ranked in the top 10 most popular organisations (Nielsen ‘Parent’ level classification) on smartphone via website or application.
- In July 2015, 4.1 million (4,140,000) Australians accessed Fairfax Media’s content from a smartphone and 2.3 million (2,302,000) accessed Fairfax Media’s content from a tablet device via website or application.
- smh.com.au is Fairfax Media’s most popular news property on smartphone and tablet, with 1.2 million and 697,000 Australians, respectively, reading smh.com.au during July.
- In the ‘current events and global news’ category, smh.com.au was ranked the second most popular news property on both smartphone and tablet among Australians in July.
- theage.com.au also attracts significant audiences on smartphone with more than half a million (561,000) Australians reading theage.com.au on a smartphone during July.
- The preview data is drawn from the first nationally representative mobile panel, consisting of more than 2,000 iOS and Android smartphone users and 500 iOS and Android tablet users. IAB and Nielsen Mobile Ratings data will become the official currency for mobile audience measurement once it is hybridised and fused with desktop/laptop data and released as part of the IAB and Nielsen Digital Content Ratings measurement next year.
Source: Nielsen Mobile Ratings Preview Data (Ppl 18+), July 2015.
About Fairfax Media
Fairfax’s network of leading information, marketplaces and entertainment brands provides powerful connections between advertisers and large, diversified audiences throughout Australia and New Zealand. As the trusted voice, Fairfax informs, engages and entertains audiences and communities. Every day Fairfax empowers and enriches the lives of millions of people with independent, quality content and great experiences.