Reach 7 in 10 Australians with Fairfax Media; home to Australia's #1 news destination The Sydney Morning Herald
16 June 2016
Commenting on the April 2016 emmaTM (Enhanced Media Metrics Australia) survey results*, Fairfax Media’s Australian Publishing Media Managing Director, Allen Williams, said:
“Fairfax Media’s extensive multi-platform network of news, information and entertainment is engaging with more people than ever - reaching 13.3 million, or 7 in 10 Australians, in April according to emmaTM. The month-on-month audience growth underlines the strength and depth of our quality independent journalism and content, and the valuable, large-scale multi-platform audiences that we connect to our advertisers.
“Our digital audience of 11.3 million people was up 141,000 in April compared to the prior month and our total print audience remained strong - reaching 6.2 million people across our mastheads nationally in the month.
“Australia’s number one news destination, The Sydney Morning Herald, reached 6 million across print and digital platforms in April, which is 1.6 million more people than its nearest competitor.
“The Age reached 3.6 million Australians across print and digital platforms, with a total digital audience of 2.7 million.
“The Australian Financial Review reached a total masthead audience of 1.7 million people in April and maintained a strong print audience of 962,000 readers, with 828,000 accessing the Financial Review on a digital platform.
“Fairfax Media’s regional and rural titles reached 4.5 million people across print and digital platforms in April.”
Key emmaTM monthly readership highlights for the month of April 2016 include:
Fairfax Media Total Monthly Reach^
- 13.3 million readership across print and digital platforms, up 74,000 month on month
- 11.3 million people across desktop/laptop, smartphone and tablet, up 141,000 month on month
- 6.2 million people across print
The Sydney Morning Herald Total Monthly Reach
- 6.0 million readership across print and digital platforms, up 36,000 month on month
- 4.8 million people across smh.com.au on desktop/laptop, smartphone and tablet
- 2.1 million read the SMH in print
The Age Total Monthly Reach
- 3.6 million readership across print and digital platforms
- 2.7 million people across theage.com.au on desktop/laptop, smartphone and tablet
- 1.5 million read The Age in print
The Australian Financial Review Total Monthly Reach
- 1.7 million readership across print and digital platforms
- 828,000 people across afr.com on desktop/laptop, smartphone and tablet
- 962,000 read the AFR in print
The Canberra Times Total Monthly Reach
- 846,000 readership across print and digital platforms
- 722,000 people across canberratimes.com.au on desktop/laptop, smartphone and tablet
- 206,000 read the The Canberra Times in print
Fairfax Media’s Community, Regional and Rural Titles Total Monthly Reach
- 4.5 million readership across print and digital platforms
- 1.9 million people across desktop/laptop, smartphone and tablet
- 3.1 million across print
Note: This is the third month that the emmaTM data incorporates the new Nielsen Digital Ratings Monthly (DRM), providing more accurate total cross platform and digital audience numbers, which includes mobile and tablet. Due to the change in methodology, emmaTM continues its trend break for total masthead and total digital audiences, with any digital year on year comparisons invalid for this period.
Source: emmaTM (Enhanced Media Metrics Australia) conducted by Ipsos MediaCT, People 14+ for the 12 months to April 2016. Nielsen Digital Ratings April 2016, People 14+ (^ Fairfax Media total reach includes Allure Media digital properties).
About Fairfax Media
Fairfax’s network of leading information, marketplaces and entertainment brands provides powerful connections between advertisers and large, diversified audiences throughout Australia and New Zealand. As the trusted voice, Fairfax informs, engages and entertains audiences and communities. Every day Fairfax empowers and enriches the lives of millions of people with independent, quality content and great experiences.